Friday, June 15, 2007

A Violetta for the ages (singing Tosca... argh!)

I only have a moment this morning, but I had to post something that I found on youtube last night. Someone has been posting a lot of clips from this singer lately, and I have not seen all of them, but this one absolutely blew me away. Certainly the best singing I have ever heard from this artist, and amazingly, one of the best-sung "Sempre liberae" (?) in my experience.

Well, yet another time, youtube has seen fit to remove a video that otherwise will remain unviewed. Or rather, youtube has been forced to withdraw a video.

Which kind of ruins the suspense... okay, it was Sylvia Sass, about whom I will say more later. I have a clip of her singing "Vissi d'arte" from a few years later, but already the voice was going in the scary direction that we all remember (at least those of us who remember Sass at all!)

Anyway, here's the Tosca. It has good moments, but it can't hold a candle to that Violetta. If it ever reappears, I will repost it, I promise.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger AndrewGoesBroadway said...

Oh my god, I was so excited to hear and guess, but the video is "no longer available!!!"

July 17, 2007 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger AndrewGoesBroadway said...

I'll guess from the pic: Cheryl Studer?

July 17, 2007 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger AndrewGoesBroadway said...

OK, now I see that you reveal it to be Syvia Sass, whoever she is . . .

I wish I could hear her sing! I guess I could go to youtube and search for myself . . .

July 17, 2007 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger AndrewGoesBroadway said...

OK, I just listened to her "Vissi d'arte." SHe is fantastic.

July 17, 2007 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger AndrewGoesBroadway said...

I just read the full title of this post. Should I not judge her on her Tosca? Even if that's all I listened to and I liked it?

July 18, 2007 at 6:07 AM  
Blogger Counterleben said...

Hi Andrew,

I changed the name of the post when I changed the youtube clip. No, this is pretty much what Sass always sounded like. It got messier and wobblier, but she always sounded at the very edge of her resources. The Violetta was tossed off with complete ease and assurance. It was brilliant, actually. This Tosca was okay, but not nearly at that level.

July 18, 2007 at 7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home