Monday, March 12, 2007

Ileana Cotrubas

THOSE YOUTUBE FUCKERS KEEP REMOVING ALL MY FAVORITE VIDEOS! ANYWAY, HERE IS COTRUBAS' VIOLETTA AGAIN, ALTHOUGH I'M SURE THE MET WILL MAKE THEM TAKE THIS ONE DOWN AS WELL...

Speaking of Cotrubas, as I did in my previous post, dig her in these two Traviata excerpts. Surely one of the most scrupulously musical singers ever and one of the most emotionally and dramatically committed and, though she has not been properly acknowleged for this, one of the most technically adept singers of her time. Maybe I should just let her speak for herself, since she does it so much more eloquently than I could. Enjoy!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lauren Bacon said...

The Cotrubas/Domingo Traviata was the first opera I ever heard or saw - and I saw it on Betamax video (the Zeffirelli production)! I fell in love instantly with both performers and the opera. Cotrubas will always be, for me, the perfect Violetta. There's room for other great Violettas, of course, but I'm so glad I heard hers first.

Thanks for posting these videos!

March 26, 2007 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Counterleben said...

Lauren, that Traviata is the very one that's represented here. What a great introduction to that opera, to have seen Cotrubas as your first Violetta. There are as many ways to interpret this role as there are singers who have undertaken it, but I agree, she is nonpareil.

I just can't understand why this, along with a treasure trove of other 70s Met telecasts, has not been released on DVD.

March 28, 2007 at 10:56 PM  
Blogger AndrewGoesBroadway said...

I am surprised at how much chest register she uses in Sempre Libera -- I LOVE IT!

July 18, 2007 at 5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home